Wednesday, August 31, 2011

From strange to stranger.



This picture is #1 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

I finally got up the nerve to start the 100 strangers project. I've been wanting to do it for months, but always had an excuse as to why I shouldn't start. Well, I started. And I plan on making it a regular thing.

Meet Dave and Susie Payne, whom I met at a beach along the Oregon Coast. I actually don't remember the name of the beach, or where it was, as I drove a lot of the coast that day.

Now, I am a very shy person. I'm not very good at talking to people I don't know. This is one of the reasons I was so intent on doing this project. I thought it would force me to get out of my comfort zone. I think the key thing is to not be self conscious. So what if people think you're strange? You're probably never going to see them again anyway.

So, I kind of just jumped right into this. And it just so happened that the first people I asked were more than willing to be a part of what I was doing. Remind me why I was so scared?

This lovely couple intrigued me with their stylish bikes and leather jackets. Despite the rough biker look, they were very warm and friendly :) It just goes to show that stereotypes are meaningless.

I can't describe the feeling I had after taking this. . .it gave me a much needed boost (I'd pulled an all nighter in order to get to the coast early, so I was quite tired.) Just doing something you never thought you could do makes you feel so good ;)

So, thank you Dave and Susie for not backing out when I told you that you were my first "victims" ;) I hope you see this!

No comments:

Post a Comment